Dell PowerEdge server shipping delays

Matthew Marlowe matt at deploylinux.net
Tue Jan 5 17:20:12 CST 2010

Eugene,

We have ordered several R710 servers in the last few months - accessories/etc were received within 2-3 business days, the servers themselves within 3 weeks (within the time frame promised in the order).

Historically, we've never had any real worries about Dell delivering within their time frames (having placed many orders every year for the last 7 years).  I think there was only one case where we had to escalate, and this got tracked down to the shipping companies fault (Dell sent out a new system for us immediately).

The current delay of 3 weeks is a little higher than the 2 weeks I would normally expect or even the 1 week I've seen on occasion - but not enough to keep us from placing future orders.

It's possible that only certain classes of accounts or models are being impacted.  Ultimately, you have to be able to trust your dell account rep -- if you feel he's not giving you the right information, you should ask to be switched to a different one.  Sometimes you have to push to be given a real answer; I've definitely had to do that on a few occasions - but you should never have to put up with being strung along.

Matt

Matthew Marlowe - http://www.deploylinux.net/
CEO @ DeployLinux Consulting, Inc
matt at deploylinux.net, 858-400-7430