iDRAC6 firmware download links broken (and where is the source code?)

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Thu Dec 2 16:42:03 CST 2010

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 04:33:48PM +1000, Adam Nielsen wrote:
> > Can anyone point out where I can get the firmware source code for the
> > iDRAC6?
>
> Just an update, it turns out you can get it at
> http://opensource.dell.com but you have to use Internet Explorer, that
> URL won't work through Firefox (they really don't make it easy, do they?)
>
> Still it's not the full distribution (GPLv3 source only, no build
> environment or firmware image creation scripts as required by GPLv3) but
> then I guess Dell is no stranger to violating the GPL... :-(

There are a few components incorrectly marked GPLv3 in the
iDRAC_3.0.zip file Licenses/ directory (e.g. the Linux kernel).
Someone is looking into fixing that.  The Sources/ directory contains
the source code and correct license files.

AFAIK, none of the components in the iDRAC 6 firmware
are GPLv3-licensed, or require us to provide a full build and reflash
environment.  That's under consideration, but not currently planned.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch