debian etch/etch-and-a-half on R610

Gavin Hanover ghanover at ndev.com
Tue Sep 29 16:42:51 CDT 2009

We've replaced the SAS6/iR with a PERC6/i, and still have extremely
poor/inconcistent performance. hdparm buffered read test shows wide
variations in subsequent test. At this point we're ready to just send
the server back to Dell.

w3:~# hdparm -t /dev/sda1

/dev/sda1:
 Timing buffered disk reads:   78 MB in  4.01 seconds =  19.47 MB/sec
w3:~# hdparm -t /dev/sda1

/dev/sda1:
 Timing buffered disk reads:   78 MB in  4.09 seconds =  19.06 MB/sec
w3:~# hdparm -t /dev/sda1

/dev/sda1:
 Timing buffered disk reads:   78 MB in  3.53 seconds =  22.12 MB/sec
w3:~# hdparm -t /dev/sda1

/dev/sda1:
 Timing buffered disk reads:   78 MB in  3.57 seconds =  21.82 MB/sec
w3:~# hdparm -t /dev/sda1

/dev/sda1:
 Timing buffered disk reads:   80 MB in  4.55 seconds =  17.59 MB/sec
w3:~# hdparm -t /dev/sda1

/dev/sda1:
 Timing buffered disk reads:  382 MB in  3.01 seconds = 126.77 MB/sec
w3:~# hdparm -t /dev/sda1

/dev/sda1:
 Timing buffered disk reads:  386 MB in  3.02 seconds = 128.02 MB/sec
w3:~# hdparm -t /dev/sda1

/dev/sda1:
 Timing buffered disk reads:  78 MB in  3.14 seconds =  24.84 MB/sec
w3:~# hdparm -t /dev/sda1

/dev/sda1:
 Timing buffered disk reads:  382 MB in  3.01 seconds = 126.92 MB/sec