External serial port doesn't work after SOL activated on R710

Frank Wang wg at yarbs.cn
Mon Sep 21 09:09:35 CDT 2009

More info.
The external serial port setting in BIOS would automatically change from
COM1 to COM2. I found this during reboot by serial console. At first, I
suspected the OMSA-6.1.0 caused the error as it lacks the option for
external serial port setting in GUI. The ipmitool sol activate session
will always be stopped during OS load and reporting following when:
Starting dsm_sa_datamgr32d: Error: No response to keepalive - Terminating
session
    And I have to run the command again to get serial login. So I removed
the OMSA, and set the BIOS as in my last post. This time there's no
interrupt during boot and the UPS monitor program worked! I was happy
and powered down the server last night, only to find UPS alert email
this morning when the server was powered again. I haven't have change
to shut it down so far, but wondering is the external serial port
setting changed again? If so, what caused it? We'll see.
Thanks for any suggestion.