Vmware ESXi (3.5) and RHEL (5.1) : Timekeeping Woes

Brian Mathis brian.mathis at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 13:07:17 CDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 12:53 PM, Roehrig, Jack (John)
<Jack.Roehrig at ask.com> wrote:
> While there are many timekeeping issues with VMs, most of them are
> specifically related to suspending machines and vmotioning machines.
> [...]

I have to disagree here. I am using VMware Server 2, and I have also
used VMware Workstation.  Both of those show big issues with
timekeeping if best practices are not followed, and neither of them
support vmotion, and I rarely suspend running servers.  I'm not sure
if you've seen the VMware whitepaper on timekeeping, but they don't
mention either of those things as the cause of the problem.