Linux Debian 5 on PE R610 : random freeze at boot

Andrew Robert Nicols andrew.nicols at luns.net.uk
Tue Sep 15 02:49:10 CDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 06:48:30PM +0200, ROUSSEL Kévin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am in charge of three PowerEdge R610 servers at work, and we plan to
> operate them with Debian Linux v. 5 ("Lenny") in 64-bit mode ("amd64").
>
> I managed to install the system without much problem (using the
> additional bnx2 firmware for the NIC), but when we began to use the
> servers in production, we faced a big problem.
>
> Our problem is : each time we reboot any of the three machines, the
> system will randomly (with a probability of about 50%) hang at the
> beginning of the boot process.

We're seeing exactly the same thing on one of our R610s. We've got two in
production and every time we upgrade the kernel on one of them, we're
seeing it hang.

I've not been dealing with the problem at our end so I don't know what
steps my colleagues have taken. They've tried replaying the problem but it
always behaves perfectly when they watch.

We're running with four 73Gb SATA disks in RAID 10 with 24GB RAM and two
2.4Ghz processors.

Will try and get some more diagnostics next time the system fails.

Andrew

--
Systems Developer

e: andrew.nicols at luns.net.uk
im: a.nicols at jabber.lancs.ac.uk
t: +44 (0)1524 5 10147

Lancaster University Network Services is a limited company registered in
England and Wales. Registered number: 4311892. Registered office:
University House, Lancaster University, Lancaster, LA1 4YW