Ordering drive carriers from Dell - summary

Philip Tait philip at subaru.naoj.org
Fri Sep 11 12:48:57 CDT 2009

Philip Tait wrote:
> Previous traffic on this list indicates that some participants have
> succeeded in getting a Dell sales rep. to order empty drive carriers for
> them (although ours is not being very cooperative so far).
>
> - Can anyone confirm that ' F9541'  is the correct part number for a SAS
> drive carrier for an MD1000 enclosure?
>
> - Can anyone provide any guidance from recent experience of ordering
> these parts?

I received some very helpful responses. I have summarised them here, in
the hope they may be useful for someone else. (Perhaps we need an FAQ?)

- Chase and Michael referred me to http://discountechnology.com/ , and
confirmed the part number.

- Michael provided a URL for the part:
http://discountechnology.com/Dell-F9541-NF467-H9122-G9146-Hard-Drive-Tray-Caddy?sc=2&category=33
and pointed out that the part number is different for SATA drives, due
to the need for an interposer board. (Which surprised me, because I
thought the SAS specification provided for connection of a SATA drive to
a SAS backplane connector).

- Aleks suggested looking at softarcade.net, where he bought the SATA
version, CC852. He mentioned that mounting screws are available from
Discounttechnology.com in packs of 20($2.95) and 100($9.95). However,
item number 90273A144, "Zinc-Plated Stl Flat Head Phil MachineScrew 6-32
Thread, 1/4" Length" from http://www.mcmaster.com appears to be
equivalent, at $3.42 for 100.

I received no response to indicate anyone has succeeded in getting these
from Dell of late.

Thanks to the people who responded with such helpful advice.

Philip J. Tait
http://subarutelescope.org