cannot install lenny amd64 on 2950

Alex Mestiashvili alexander.mestiashvili at biotec.tu-dresden.de
Thu Feb 19 04:35:06 CST 2009

christian.peper at kpn.com wrote:
> Ah yes, I've had that on the PE2950, where the Dell virtual media
> devices add additional boot devices and mess up device enumeration.
>
> We've fixed that by installing using the option 'nousbstorage' on Red
> Hat, but I'm not sure if Debian will know about that option.
>
> Otherwise, simply poke around in the grub loader
> Grub>root hd(0,0)
> Or
> Grub>root hd(1,0)
>
> If it finds root environment, your set. Edit fstab using the device
> you've just found and reboot. This should be fairly straight forward
> from a stnd Linux rescue mode.
>
> Chris.

I had such problems with PE1950 , finally I changed device names to
their UUIDs and that worked just fine .
/boot/grub/menu.lst
<skip>
title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.27.13-grsec
root            (hd0,0)
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27.13-grsec
root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/a90aaf9b-9b29-49f8-94ae-aebd7ca33378 ro
initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.27.13-grsec
savedefault

#cat /etc/fstab
UUID=a90aaf9b-9b29-49f8-94ae-aebd7ca33378    /                 ext3
rw,errors=remount-ro  0    1

Alex