Backplane +5V failed on PE 2450

Zembower, Kevin kzembowe at jhuccp.org
Wed May 28 09:58:41 CDT 2008

Thanks to the SARA folks who ported OMSA to Debian, I got OMSA 5.4
installed on an old PE 2450. I promptly discovered that it reports that
the Backplane +5V failed at 3.848V. However, the host seems to be
working normally. I just rebooted it and it seems to be fine.

Could this be an erroneous, false-negative warning? If not, what do I
have to do to repair it? This host is eight years old, and the warrantee
ended three years ago, so I'm probably on my own to fix it, or call in
Dell on a per-hour basis.

Any advice or suggestions? Thanks so much for your thoughts.

-Kevin

Kevin Zembower
Internet Services Group manager
Center for Communication Programs