PERC 5/i Degraded Backplane

Mon May 19 09:19:54 CDT 2008

Wow I'm not too sure about that one. I do know that there is an updated firmware for the Backplane. You might want to try updating that.

Some of the SAS enclosures also roll up the status of their children (in this case the disks). So you might want to look at that as well.

From: linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com [mailto:linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com] On Behalf Of Mark Baxter
Sent: Friday, May 16, 2008 9:33 AM
To: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: PERC 5/i Degraded Backplane

Hi,

I'm trying to get my head round exactly what it means for a backplane to be in a degraded state. I've got a PowerEdge 2900 running RHEL 4 Update 5 with kernel 2.6.9-67.0.1.ELsmp (x86_64). Everything seems to be running smoothly, but in IT Assistant it is flagging an error. Seeing as this is my only machine flagging an error it is ruining my clean sweep of green ticks ;o)

Anyway, does anyone known what a degraded backplane means and if I can do anything about it?

Here's the relevant bits of the omreport:

omreport storage controller controller=0

 Controller  PERC 5/i Integrated (Embedded)

Controllers

ID                                : 0

Status                            : Ok

Name                              : PERC 5/i Integrated

Slot ID                           : Embedded

State                             : Ready

Firmware Version                  : 5.2.1-0067

Minimum Required Firmware Version : Not Applicable

Driver Version                    : 00.00.03.13

Minimum Required Driver Version   : Not Applicable

Number of Connectors              : 2

Rebuild Rate                      : 30%

BGI Rate                          : 30%

Check Consistency Rate            : 30%

Reconstruct Rate                  : 30%

Alarm State                       : Not Applicable

Cluster Mode                      : Not Applicable

SCSI Initiator ID                 : Not Applicable

Cache Memory Size                 : 256 MB

Patrol Read Mode                  : Auto

Patrol Read State                 : Stopped

Patrol Read Rate                  : 30%

Patrol Read Iterations            : 55

Enclosure(s)

ID                    : 0:0

Status                : Non-Critical

Name                  : Backplane

State                 : Degraded

Connector             : 0

Target ID             : Not Applicable

Configuration         : Not Applicable

Firmware Version      : 1.00

Service Tag           : Not Applicable

Asset Tag             : Not Applicable

Asset Name            : Not Applicable

Backplane Part Number : Not Applicable

Split Bus Part Number : Not Applicable

Enclosure Part Number : Not Applicable

SAS Address           : 500180B0520BEA00

Enclosure Alarm       : Not Applicable

ID                    : 1:0

Status                : Non-Critical

Name                  : Backplane

State                 : Degraded

Connector             : 1

Target ID             : Not Applicable

Configuration         : Not Applicable

Firmware Version      : 1.00

Service Tag           : Not Applicable

Asset Tag             : Not Applicable

Asset Name            : Not Applicable

Backplane Part Number : Not Applicable

Split Bus Part Number : Not Applicable

Enclosure Part Number : Not Applicable

SAS Address           : 500180B0520BEA00

Enclosure Alarm       : Not Applicable

________________________________

Mark Baxter
OnDemand Administrator
Visma Proceedo AB
Rålambsvägen 17, vån 12, S-112 59 Stockholm, Sweden

Switchboard

: +46 8 522 930 30

Direct

: +46 8 522 930 60

Mobile

: +46 73 978 92 60

Fax

: +46 8 58 88 48 29

Internet

: http://www.vismaproceedo.com <http://www.vismaproceedo.com/>

E-mail

: mark.baxter at visma.com

Ekonomisystem - Elektronisk fakturahantering - Redovisning - Tid- och projektstyrning - Säljstödssystem - Lön - Inkassotjänster - Inköp - Butiksdatalösningar - E-handels- och webblösningar

This communication is intended for the person(s) named above only. It contains information that is confidential and legally privileged. If received in error, please delete this e-mail and notify the sender.