Monitor drives on PERC 5/i

Frank Warnke frank at newspapersystems.com
Tue May 6 08:49:07 CDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-06 at 12:34 -1000,  Jerod Hammerstein wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We are a small shop and don't need anything fancy.  We've installed CentOS 5.1 onto PowerEdge 1900 with Perc 5/i controller.  I haven't installed the OMSA services, yet.
>
> I would like a way to let it email or alert us if one of the drives goes bad.  Can the DRAC 5 card do this with its alerts?  I notice it had "redundancy degraded" alerts and hardware error log alerts.
>
> If the DRAC can do this, do I need OMSA installed?
>
> Thanks,
> jerod

For the times that I do not install OMSA, I use LSI's MegaRAID Storage
Manager for Linux.  (http://www.lsilogic.com)

I have used it on several Dell PowerEdge 1900's and 2900's with the PERC 5/i.

Once it is running, go to;

   Tools => Configure => Monitor Configurator

and set up which alerts should send e-mail.