OMSA 5.4 dsm_sa_ipmi service not set to auto-start after install

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at Dell.com
Fri May 2 20:37:06 CDT 2008

On Thu, May 01, 2008 at 01:27:27PM -0500, Jeff Larsen wrote:
> I've been seeing this since I started working with OMSA at v5.1. I
> just finished installing OMSA 5.4 on some brand new CentOS 4.6 x86_64
> boxes. OMSA was installed via the yum repository. After installation,
> the dsm_sa_ipmi service is not configured to start up. chkconfig
> --list shows 'off' for all run levels. I have to issue a 'chckconfig
> dsm_sa_ipmi on' to enable automatic startup. If it's not started other
> pieces of OMSA don't work so well. Not only does this happen for new
> installs, but upgrades have also turned off dsm_sa_ipmi.

You're right - the srvadmin-hapi RPM %post script always chkconfig's
this off.

The /etc/init.d/dataeng script is supposed to automatically start
dsm_sa_ipmi if it believes it's on a system that has IPMI.

> I'm posting in the hope that someone at Dell can get this relatively
> minor issue resolved. It's not hard to deal with as long as you know
> what to look for. But if you don't know it's there, you can really be
> scratching  your head on why the OMSA web interface won't work.
>
> I have only installed OMSA in CentOS 4 x86_64, so this problem may be
> limited in scope.
>
> For future reference, are there more appropriate channels for bug
> reports on this 'unsupported' repository?

It's probably due to running CentOS instead of RHEL.  Several scripts look
for specific Red Hat strings in /etc/redhat-release, specifically:
  Taroon
  Nahant
  Tikanga
and modify their behaviour accordingly.  The OMSA-provided IPMI service startup
check does...  CentOS does not include these strings (the RHEL version
names) in their copy of /etc/redhat-release, thus scripts that check
for those and change behavior accordingly fail.  That's what's
happening to you.

OMSA bugs can of course be raised through normal tech support channels
- it is supported software.  Unfortunately, CentOS is not officially
supported by OMSA (yes, even though it's a simple recompile of RHEL),
so there's little tech support could do for you in this instance.  I'm
bcc'ing the OMSA installer team though. :-)

--
Matt Domsch
linux.dell.com & www.dell.com/linux