CentOS 4 installer sees /dev/sda, but after boot it's /dev/sdb

Jeff Larsen jlar310 at gmail.com
Thu May 1 00:00:21 CDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 7:50 PM, jeff nichols <jeff.n at linuxmail.org> wrote:

>  I've seen the virtual cdrom take /dev/sda on 9th gen servers - do you have a DRAC5?

Yes we have DRAC5. But we used virtual CD media to install and the
first HD RAID array during install was /dev/sda. Boot disk array
became sdb after first live boot. Makes no sense that it changes.
Maybe it has something to do with different hardware drivers being
available in the installer kernel versus live kernel. Perhaps a
question for the CentOS list. I wonder if other distros see the same
thing.

I've pretty much just decided to live with it, though it challenges my
obsessive-compulsive nature. Fortunately, CentOS uses disk labels for
booting and /etc/fstab, so the only gotcha in the future if the device
assignment changed would be database configuration for direct disk
device access.

--
Jeff