md3000i and snapshots?

Nick_Parrott at Dell.com Nick_Parrott at Dell.com
Tue Jul 29 09:02:16 CDT 2008

<<still sending this even though Harald has covered this..>>

Hi Scott,

I'm a little busy today with Windows customers :-( so please excuse the
limited answers.. this is really more of a phone call job.

Snapshot metadata is stored on the free space that the disks offer, so
let's show a config for your box;

6 disks, 5 in a R5 and 1 HSP.

RAID 5 of 5 disks = ~1200Gb. If you create a RAID 5 of this size, there
will be nowhere in this disk group (a collection of disks) to store
snapshot meta-data. For this reason, let's opt for an 800Gb RAID 5,
leaving ~400Gb free space in the group. This essentially means you can
create a snapshot of the source VD, and have half the data (~400Gb)
modified on the source VD before you get space issues with the
snapshot's repository space. The SS VD will be presented to the OS as
another VD, however with a numerial suffix, ie: a VD called "BobHoskins"
gets snapped, and is called "BobHoskins1" and so on..)

The SS VD appears to the OS as an entire LUN, however the data consumed
on physical disks is simply the copy of "original" data from the source
VD that needs to be maintained. Anything on the source VD that stays the
same will remain there, and the SS engine will only make a copy of such
data if the source VD is being modified. "Copy-on-write" is the snapshot
methodology..

When going through the snapshot creation (from wizard or CLI command)
you have an option to set the threshold at which you are alerted to the
repository size, so consider using this to know when the snapshot
meta-data is getting to a particular size.

Regards,

Nick