xen networking problems

John McMonagle johnm at advocap.org
Thu Jan 10 15:45:15 CST 2008

My Symptoms were not as bad as yours.
Possibly because  it's a newer server and it has newer bios and firmware.

root at fdlxen1:/etc/xen# ethtool -i peth0
driver: bnx2
version: 1.4.51b
firmware-version: 2.9.1
bus-info: 0000:09:00.0

It's working OK now.
I put in
ethtool -K eth0 tx off
in the network setup for both dom0 and the problem domu.
Curious why.
Not really sure if it was needed in dom0, domu or both.

I also upgraded the bnx2 driver as suggested but it was already working
before I did it.

John

AndydnA wrote:
> I have had many problems with Debian and Xen with Broadcom embedded NIC.
> The Broadcom embedded NIC doesn't work at all
> (zero received/transmitted packets) with the Xen Kernel and the pe1950
> and pe2950 server.
> The problem is not the Broadcom NIC, but the DELL management function.
> I hate this function! I spent one week and hundred coffee mug for find
> the follow work around! :)
> You can search for: "How to disable the management function on
> Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM5708 NIC" at xensource.
>
> http://kb.xensource.com/entry.jspa?externalID=66
>
> From the last year my server are running with Xen 3 without any
> network problem.
> I don't know if this can help you, but you can try.
>
> AndydnA
>
> On 08/gen/08, at 22:20, John McMonagle wrote:
>
>> Have a  pe2950 using debian etch xen 3,0,3.
>>
>> The network stalls for about 10-40 seconds every time the byte counts on
>> the domu interface roll over at 4gb.
>> Running X terminals on it and it happens about every 10 minutes.
>>
>> I see there are some issues with the bnx2 driver and xen but the reports
>> I have seen sound like networking does not work at all after bridging is
>> started.
>>
>> I think I'll try a new bnx2 driver tonight.
>>
>> Any suggestions etc??
>>
>> John
>>
>> --
>> John McMonagle