SOL - getting garbage from kernel and getty

Harald_Jensas at Dell.com Harald_Jensas at Dell.com
Fri Feb 15 08:25:33 CST 2008

The following maximum baud rates are allowed for BMC serial communication and SOL:

19200 for PowerEdge 1425SC and other PowerEdge x8xx systems.
57600 for PowerEdge x9xx and xx0x systems without Dell Remote Access Controller 5 (DRAC 5).
115200 for PowerEdge x9xx and xx0x systems with DRAC 5.

Try reducing the speed to 57600 baud, 115200 is only supported on systems with the DRAC 5 Controller.

You should read this:
http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs/software/smbmcmu/BMCMU_3_0/en/ug/bmcugadd.htm#wp1055490

An I would recommend configure GRUB to redirect to serial as well, and turn off Serial Redirect after boot.

--
Harald Jensås