OM startup hanging

Cathy Reaves cathy.reaves at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 17:00:26 CST 2008

Ok so a new twist on things.....

ps -Alf --forest shows the ipmi startup script still running with an
associated child process of modprobe.  I used the script dsm_sa_ipmi
script in /etc/init.d and did a stop; stopped OM too.  Restarted, then
stopped again.  Nothing would get rid of the modprobe process.

As luck would have it, it finally went away.

Now I am a little concerned because lsmod shows the ipmi_si_drv as
"uninitialized"
 lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: GF
sg                     37388   0
ipmi_devintf            5192   0
ipmi_si_drv            28392   0  (uninitialized)
ipmi_msghandler        28804   0  [ipmi_devintf ipmi_si_drv]
dell_rbu                8092   0  (unused)
audit                  90744   2  (autoclean)
autofs4                16984   0  (autoclean) (unused)
tg3                    65992   1
microcode               6912   0  (autoclean)
keybdev                 2976   0  (unused)
mousedev                5688   0  (unused)
hid                    22308   0  (unused)
input                   6176   0  [keybdev mousedev hid]
usb-ohci               23176   0  (unused)
usbcore                81152   1  [hid usb-ohci]
ext3                   89992  12
jbd                    55092  12  [ext3]
megaraid               30636  14
sd_mod                 13936  26
scsi_mod              115240   3  [sg megaraid sd_mod]

But to note, when I run the /etc/init.d script dsm_sa_ipmi it reports:

./dsm_sa_ipmi status
ipmi_msghandler module loaded.
ipmi_si_drv module loaded.
ipmi_devintf module loaded.
/dev/ipmi0 exists.

What does this all mean?  Do I have a problem or not?  Seems like
OpenManage is working.

Cathy