M1000e

Matthew Geier matthew at acfr.usyd.edu.au
Tue Aug 26 23:21:54 CDT 2008

Nick_Parrott at dell.com wrote:

> Mohammad,
>
> Do you have the pass-thru modules for the NICs or switches (M6220)
> instead? The pass-thru modules will require all live ports to be
> populated, and you should get a NIC LED as the blade boots, once into
> the OS it’s up to the driver so the link LEDs may go off. The switch
> should be fine with even a single cable.
>
> For the purposes of isolation, does a live disto work ok on the
> machine with the NICs?

My brief experience is that both the NICs and the Perc controller don't
work even with RHEL5 unless you install the Dell drivers - I installed
two M600s using the Dell 'server assistant'. If I just booted of the
RHEL CD's it didn't find the disk or network, so the install couldn't
continue. Using Dell's server assistant merges the required drivers into
the install process.

I think the network is a new cut of the Broadcom chips and they are not
supported by older releases. QNX 6.3 has the same issue - boots but
can't find disk or network.