840 Ubuntu BMC/IPMI shared IP address

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Tue Aug 26 08:00:29 CDT 2008

On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 12:26:50PM -0400, Drew Weaver wrote:
>                    Hi there, earlier today I setup the BMC on an Ubuntu 8.04
>    LTS server to use the same IP as the OS (I've done this many times in
>    Windows and Redhat and it works great, maybe a driver?) Anyway, the
>    BMC/IPMI only responds until Ubuntu starts up eth0 and then it no longer
>    responds, does anyone know if there is a driver or something I need to
>    install to allow it to share the IP address, or should I just use another
>    IP address altogether?

You should use a separate IP address for the BMC and the system NIC.
Doing otherwise is madness - packets intended for one destination get
"eaten" by the other.

The PowerEdge 1855 used a shared IP address between the BMC and the
system NIC.  All other servers released to date use separate
addresses.

Now, there is a "recommendation" by some of the systems management
standards bodies to have future systems again share the IP address.
So, it's possible this behavior will change yet again on future
systems.  I've objected to this "recommendation", but so far have not
seen the fruits of this objection.

--
Matt Domsch
linux.dell.com & www.dell.com/linux