R200 IPMI: negative Temp value

Björn Boschman Bjoern.Boschman at nfon.net
Tue Aug 12 09:47:29 CDT 2008

Hi,

I recently bought several R200s and want to monitor things like CPU-Temp via nagios.
As I cannot find any sources for OpenManage I was thinking of using ipmitool.

I loaded the following kernel-modules: ipmi_devintf ipmi_si ipmi_msghandler

And the resulting output of ipmitool sdr | grep -v "Not Readable":

Temp             | -58 degrees C     | cr
Planar Temp      | 35 degrees C      | ok
CMOS Battery     | 3.08 Volts        | ok
VCORE            | 0x01              | ok
PROC VTT         | 0x01              | ok
1.25V PG         | 0x01              | ok
1.8V PG          | 0x01              | ok
Presence         | 0x01              | ok
PROC Fan         | 3900 RPM          | ok
DIMM Fan         | 3975 RPM          | ok
PCI Fan          | 1350 RPM          | ok
Status           | 0x80              | ok
VRM              | 0x01              | ok
OS Watchdog      | 0x00              | ok
Intrusion        | 0x00              | ok
PCI Parity Err   | 0xc0              | ok
Memory Mirrored  | 0x01              | ok
Memory RAID      | 0x01              | ok
Memory Added     | 0x01              | ok
Memory Removed   | 0x01              | ok

System: Ubuntu 8.04.1 i386

Why is Temp a negative value and why is it critical?

If more input is required just ask

Best Regards
Björn