Attaching 3 MD1000 to PE2950 PERC 6/E

Ryan Bair ryandbair at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 18:50:51 CDT 2008

Windows will support it as a block device but NTFS (the only builtin
filesystem you would consider using for this) does have some
limitations. The current maximum volume size is (23^2)-1 clusters. So
with the default 4kb clusters, thats only about 16TB. Also, I have
some very negative experiences with ntfs snapshots and volumes over a
few TB so you may want to avoid them or test extensively before using
in production. You will need to have SP1 installed (I think) which
support GPT disks, of course you should have this anyway.

Mounting through CIFS is probably the easiest way to mount the volume
over a network, but make sure your Linux client has an up to date
version of the driver; older kernel modules were pretty slow and
buggy. You could also use NFSv3 Server as it appears in SFU, but NFSv3
has some issues and has been pretty much been replaced by NFSv4 in
*nix environments. I believe Hummingbird sells an NFSv4 server for
Windows, but it has a pretty hefty price tag attached to it.

If you were to mount the actual volume itself by moving the drives to
a Linux system you could probably mount it with the userspace NTFS-3g
driver which is pretty good, but security ACLs aren't currently
supported yet and I'm not sure how well tested it is with volumes of
this size.