PE 2950 and debian

Matheus Bezerra Estrela Rodrigues matheus at tre-pb.gov.br
Mon Aug 4 06:48:20 CDT 2008

On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 00:17:56 +0100
"Alex Howells" <alex.howells at 0wn3d.us> wrote:

> 2008/8/3 Jared <list-dell at legroom.net>:
> > Can you be a little more specific about what you're trying to do?  I'm
> > running Etch amd64 on a PowerEdge 2950 and it works great.  If you're just
> > trying to install OMSA, it's easiest to use the Debian port available here:
> > ftp://ftp.sara.nl/pub/outgoing/dell/

first to the first answer :)

thanks before all for your quick response (the both of you =] )

and ok, I could be more specific. the thing is, I've just installed three 2950 and they're fine. they're not in production by now, we're working on that, but as far as I could see all things work fine. By this, I mean the PE as a server. Cause although there is a drac nic and a Ctrl+E on boot, not all three could get an IP from dhcp and the two that did got the IP's was not reacheble from tcp port 80 stand point. they answer ping though.

I think the main issue is that I know almost nothing about drac, so these are my first steps.

I kinda found this site, and as for yesterday mirroring it was the last thing to do to get home, so I'll play with it in some moments from now :)

> To try and answer the original poster, the DRAC isn't really employed
> through Debian Etch as its an "out of band" system -- configure it
> with an IP address and setup the NICs appropriately and you'll have a
> web interface (in addition to other methods of getting at it) for
> fixing the server remotely.  You should be able to get on the console,
> powercycle the server, view essential information about your
> temperatures, fan speeds and also configure the DRAC to send you
> e-mail alerts when things go a bit pear-shaped. :)

I have a few questions though. My servers have 4 Gigabit Eth from Broadcom, each. but one of them the installer said to be the DRAC one. what got me curious was the fact that all three OS'es I installed told me about four eth's, not three. there shouldn't be one lost from DRAC ? by the way, no http response whatsoever :(

> I think your RAID controller works fine, if you have Debian Etch
> installed -- assuming you're talking about management then the Dell
> OMSA tools linked above can help. Particularly useful is the
> 'omreport' which can be invoked something along the lines of:
>
>     omreport storage pdisk controller=0

yes, it does work fine. :)

> It'll give output about the state of physical disks, virtual arrays,
> controllers, enclosures. Not to mention temperature sensors, power
> supplies, etc.

great to hear that. this tool makes me able to set spares and manage the array as I could using its bios but without the need for reboot ? thats what I want the most :)

> Hope that helps,

it really did :)

> Alex

thanks again,