Redundant NFS storage setup (part 2)

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Wed Nov 28 06:05:31 CST 2007

Kuba Ober wrote :

> On Friday 23 November 2007, Matthias Saou wrote:
> > Harry Roberts wrote :
> > > ReiserFS has supported 16TB filesystems on 32 & 64bit Linux for some
> > > time, and SGI's XFS supports upto 9PB and aparently should scale much
> > > better than ext3; I'm not sure how XFS compares to ReiserFS on large
> > > systems though.
> >
> > I've used XFS and ReiserFS in the past, IIRC when ext3 didn't yet exist,
> > but since ext3 does what I want, and that it's officially supported in
> > RHEL5, which is what I'll be using, I prefer sticking to that for now.
>
> Before you commit yourself to it, I suggest you create the huge filesystem you
> think of, use some tool to populate it with non-zero files (a size mix you'd
> expect in your application), and run fsck. You may change your mind. I've had
> zero xfs-related problems for several years now, probably dating back to
> earliest alpha xfs in pre-fedora times, when it wasn't even in the kernel by
> default.
>
> Right now I use it on RHEL4 and RHEL5 for 2 years w/o a single problem.

I'll definitely be considering that, as I already had to wait hours for
fsck to run on some 2 to 3TB ext3 filesystems after crashes. I know it
can be disabled, but I do feel better forcing a complete check after a
system crash, especially if the filesystem had been mounted for very
long, like a year or so, and heavily used.

Matthias

Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) - Linux kernel 2.6.23.1-49.fc8
Load : 0.36 0.39 0.36