About KIPMI0 process

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Mon May 21 14:39:58 CDT 2007

On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 01:10:49PM -0500, hai wu wrote:
>    The ipmi is already off here, the one kipmi0 currently running on the
>    system, I think, comes from Dell OpenManager. After I stopping Dell
>    OpenManage (srvadmin-services stop), the kipmi0 process no longer uses
>    high CPU usage.

Yes, Dell OpenManage System Administrator (OMSA) issues IPMI commands
to the IPMI device driver.  The kipmi0 kernel thread greatly speeds up
all IPMI commands, but is only active when commands are being issued.
So, if no OMSA, and no other tool issuing IPMI commands, the kipmi0
thread won't consume cycles.  But, the kipmi0 thread runs at idle
priority, so it only uses CPU cycles when nothing else needs them.

In future servers we're looking to implement a hardware interrupt
rather than the kipmi0 kernel thread.  That should result in lower CPU
utilization when lots of IPMI commands are issued.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch