Linux-PowerEdge Digest, Vol 32, Issue 65

Robert Wehner rwehner at gmail.com
Fri May 18 18:00:07 CDT 2007

On 5/16/07, linux-poweredge-request at dell.com
<linux-poweredge-request at dell.com> >
> Message: 7
> Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 13:08:17 -0700
> From: Todd Lyons <tlyons at ivenue.com>
> Subject: Re: alt+sysrq combinations on PE KVM switches
> To: linux-poweredge at dell.com

> On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 02:51:54PM -0600, Robert Wehner wrote:
>
> >The KVMs use USB/PS2 ports to connect, not the serial port. Do the
> >SysRq functions work in non-serial console set-ups? Reading some of
> >the Google hits on this it seems that serial consoles are the norm for
> >using the Magic SysRq combinations.
>
> It works from any text console.  To be honest, I did not know it would
> work on a serial console; I had never tried that.
>
> >I'd appreciate any help or experiences that anyone has to share. Thanks!
>
> Make sure that the sysctl function you're setting is actually making its
> way out of the config file into the running config:
>   cat /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq
>
> I've never used the Alt-SysReq sequence on our 2161DS either, so I'm
> not authoritative beyond what I said above.

thanks for the advice Todd, John and Kilian. I was able to make the
2161DS work for this without any trouble on another server. Just not
on a server that had truly crashed. That one must have just been too
far gone to respond no matter how the sysRq sequences were sent.

Sorry to respond to the digest an break the thread for this subject.
I'll have to go back to a non-digest subscription...

--
----
Robert Wehner
rwehner at gmail.com