PE 860: Cannot boot from USB

arne arne at stukjewebgebeuren.nl
Wed May 16 08:11:02 CDT 2007

I did get an 860 to boot an Debian Etch installer from an USB stick.
Here's how:

Manual: http://www.us.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ch04s03.html.en

I set the option "USB Flash Drive Emulation Type" to 'hard drive'
emulation (or something like that, dont' recall the exact description).
I noticed that the 'hard drive' option only became available when I
rebooted the machine with the stick in one of the the USB ports.

Also, I used 'lilo' to install the MBR on the stick's partition; the
method advised in the manual above did not work for the PE860.

Arne.