Disable SMI on new BMC?

Russell Johnson rjohnson at rtlogic.com
Wed May 16 14:07:58 CDT 2007

Older systems had a way, I could flip a bit at PMBase + 0x30 of device bus
0, device 1f, function 0 (PCI) and completely disable SMI.  These new
systems don't seem to follow that same model.

> Check the BIOS versions between the two sets of machines.
> I'll bet that if you flash the newer machines with the same
> BIOS rev as the old machines, you might see your problems go away.

I've actually already tried this.  I flashed the new system backwards for
all firmware/bios versions that were visible to me and it still had the long
latencies.  Then I flashed the old system forwards to the latest versions
and it still has short latencies.  This leads me to believe there is some
firmware/hardware/etc that has changed under the covers.  I'm hopeful that I
can disable something to get my real time performance back.

My old 2900 had firmware/BIOS versions as follows (<60us latency)

DELL BIOS                   1.2.0
RAID BIOS                   5.0.3-0001
Remote Access Config Util   1.03
Baseboard Mgt Controller    1.14
Primary Backplane Firmware  1.00

My new 2900 had firmware versions as follows (>2ms latency)

DELL BIOS                   1.3.7
RAID BIOS                   5.1.1-0040
Remote Access Config Util   1.03
Baseboard Mgt Controller    1.33