Hardware monitoring for OpenSUSE?

Michael E Brown Michael_E_Brown at dell.com
Wed May 16 13:44:45 CDT 2007

On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 11:06:19AM +0100, kevin at indigospring.co.uk wrote:
> Hello
>
> I've tried to get the Dell yum repository added to get OMSA and IPMI on an
> OpenSUSE 10.2 system (PE SC440), but there only seem to be support for RedHat,
> Fedora Core, SLES and Debian. The bootstrap just fails as there is no
> http://linux.dell.com/repo/software/opensuse10.2/

Opensuse is in the same boat as Fedora. On the dell.com repos, I only
drop in things in the repos for what is "supported".

That being said, there is nothing stopping you from pointing your
opensuse box at the SLES repo, for example.

Right now, the SLES side of things needs some love and attention. I know
that several things are broken and dont work, for example the
dell-repository RPM doesnt have any hooks to add itself to 'rug', which
I assume is the update system of choice for suse guys.

> I can't even see the source to build them myself (assuming it would work).

The bootstrap script source is available as are the SRPMs for the
dell-repository RPM, which is what you would need. (see the _tools/
directory for bootstrap. SRPMS are in the repo)

> Am I being stupid (or unreasonable)?

Not stupid or unreasonable that I can tell, as long as your expectations
are set. The unofficial yum repos work because I get help from various
people to improve them. At the moment, I could seriously use help making
suse support better.

What I need:
  -- patches to the dell-repository, dellhw-repository RPMS to add rug
  support
  -- patches to bootstrap.sh to support opensuse.
  -- "mock" configs so that I can build packages for opensuse

> It's for a server at a customer's site and I'd like to keep an eye on fan
> health, temperature etc. LM Sensors doesn't seem to recognise any of the
> hardware.

Expected.

--
Michael