Missing disk halts boot sequence

James Pattie james.pattie at gpsinsight.com
Thu May 10 13:10:13 CDT 2007

Since you did a Software Raid install, I'm willing to bet you used Grub
as your boot loader.  Grub doesn't support software raid out of the box
like lilo used to, so it won't have grubified each of the drives and if
you took the first drive offline (don't have the original email around
anymore to verify that) then the second drive isn't grubified and the
bios is doing the right thing since it can't find an os to boot. :)

Pretty much what you have to do is tell grub to install itself to each
disk in the raid array, which is a pain-in-the-butt.  Personally I use
lilo when I want to use software raid still.

HTH.

James A. Pattie
james.pattie at gpsinsight.com
http://www.gpsinsight.com/