Scripting a way to discover Dell hardware...tips?

Alderman, Sean salderman at medplus.com
Tue May 8 11:36:09 CDT 2007

Greetings,
  I'm looking for suggestions on scripting methods to discover what PERC
(if any) a server has inside during the Post Install script section of a
kickstart.  Basically I have a pretty diverse environment, I use a php
script I wrote to build kickstart config files, one of the dynamic
things the php script builds is the post install script, it uses some
url parameters and system facts to do post install tasks.  I'm looking
to tack on something new to the post install script... a shell script to
definitively discover and install the appropriate MegaRaid tools be that
MegaRC, MegaCli, or what for the Dell XX50 server I'm installing on.

I've been looking at how /proc/scsi/scsi looks across my 2650's and
2950's, but it's not definitive, and probably doesn't give me enough
information to choose the right package from LSI to install.  For
example, I have two 2650's both running RHEL ES3 and /proc/scsi/scsi
looks like:

cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: DELL     Model: PERC Mirror      Rev: V1.0
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02

and

cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: DELL     Model: PERCRAID Mirror  Rev: V1.0
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02

It's nice that the Vendor shows up as DELL, but the model string doesn't
seem to be definitive, on the 2950 it's more clear...although I'm still
a little clueless on how to definitively make the leap from DELL -> LSI
in order to determine what package to install, perhaps I'm just too
newbie with Dell hardware and don't know where to find this information.

cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 08 Lun: 00
  Vendor: DP       Model: BACKPLANE        Rev: 1.00
  Type:   Enclosure                        ANSI SCSI revision: 05
Host: scsi0 Channel: 02 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: DELL     Model: PERC 5/i         Rev: 1.00
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 05

I read messages from very brilliant sounding people on this list and I
can't believe I'm inventing the wheel on this, someone's got to have
done it better than I.  Any ideas?

Thanks.
--
Sean Alderman