Yum repo grief

Michael E Brown Michael_E_Brown at dell.com
Mon May 7 16:57:54 CDT 2007

On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 07:41:36AM -0400, Dimitri Yioulos wrote:
> Hi to all.
>
> I really hope this hasn't been answered and I missed it; I'm not even sure
> what to search on.
>
> I just added the dell repo to three of my machines, all running CentOS 3.  One

Just to make sure you are aware, the RHEL/Centos 3 repos are not
receiving any new updates as of the last release. (all existing software
in those repos will remain for a little while, though.)

> works fine.  The other two throw errors and never complete the update.
> Here's the output I get:
>
> [root at hanover root]# up2date -u
> http://linux.dell.com/yum/software/mirrors.pl?osname=el3
> using mirror: http://linux.dell.com//yum/software/el3
> An error has occurred:
> exceptions.ValueError
> See /var/log/up2date for more information

What is in /var/log/up2date? That would shed a lot more light on the
situation.

> That's the error I get on both machines.  Now, it seems fairly obvious that
> the problems lies with "using mirror:
> http://linux.dell.com//yum/software/el3", where there are 2 slashes between
> yum and com.  But, I'm not sure where/how to fix this.  Your help would be
> most appreciated.

That isnt the problem. Two slashes are legal. You can prove this for
yourself by cut-n-pasting the URL into a browser.

--
Michael