IPMI on localhost

Fred Skrotzki fskrotzki at textwise.com
Wed Mar 21 13:06:42 CST 2007

Reason it does not work is simple if you think about it.  The BMC nic and the Eth0 Nic are wired together so that they each use the same transmit pair going out and the same receive pair coming in.  So the BMC can't receive what the Eth0 Nic is transmitting.  A switch down the line knows that both devices are on the same port so will NOT re-transmit the information as that would be bad normally.