Problem installing Redhat Enterprise Linux ES 4 on PowerEdge 2800 - SOLVED?

Kuba Ober kuba at mareimbrium.org
Tue Mar 20 10:35:04 CST 2007

> linux noprobe
>
> works. It doesn't hang. The diagnostic tests came back with no errors
> found.
>
> The problem now is, it wants me to load the drivers for ALL of the
> hardware. I don't know how I am supposed to know what drivers to load. When
> it was asking for a driver for the hard disks, it gave a list, but my disk
> manufacturer wasn't on it. I'll take this up with Dell tech support, but
> any guidance any of you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

There aren't drivers for hard disks, thanks $deity. There are drivers for
various IDE/ATA/SCSI adapters. They may go by generic names. I.e. Perc3/Di is
really Adaptec's aacraid, and so on. It's ok for you to try and load them all
by hand. One or more of them may hang, just avoid them the next time and keep
a running score, er, list of drivers you've loaded and that don't hang
things.

Cheers, Kuba