PowerConnect 2748 + Linux + link aggregation

Steve Thompson smt at vgersoft.com
Fri Mar 2 11:35:32 CST 2007

On Fri, 2 Mar 2007, Thomas_Chenault at dell.com wrote:

> Based on a quick browse through the documentation, it appears that the
> 2748 may not support 802.3ad/LACP. Assuming that this is true, the
> appropriate solution would be to choose a different mode for the bond,
> balance-xor perhaps.

Very interesting. The 2748 is advertised as supporting 802.3ad, however,
and indeed it does work if I do not configure any LAG groups on the
switch. In this case, the two interfaces show up with different Aggregate
ID's, and all traffic goes through one interface only. Failover to the
second interface does work if I pull the cable to the active slave. I'd
like to load balance, however, while avoiding as much as posible any
packet reordering issues; is this not going to be possible with the 2748
with the bond in 802.3ad mode?

Steve