rhn-applet broken for repositories -- anybody care?

Michael E Brown Michael_E_Brown at dell.com
Thu Jun 28 16:15:57 CDT 2007

All,
    It appears to me that rhn-applet has a bug in the way it handles
URLs.  This means that the rhn-applet cannot report status for the
various Dell repositories. This applies only to RHEL4, as RHEL5 uses
yum.  I may be able to fix this, but it would take a day or two of
fiddling and testing and a churn to the repo RPMs.

    I wanted to get feedback to see if this was an important/critical
aspect of the repositories that people needed, or if I can safely ignore
it.

    This appears to be a longstanding issue. I see it in the oldest logs
I have (4 weeks ago), so I assume it isnt critical, or I would have
heard of it before now.

    Anybody have thoughts on this?

Background:
    The yum-mirror setup line in /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources uses a
URL like  http://linux.dell.com/repo/software/mirrors.pl?some_args...
The RHN applet appears to drop the '?' out of the URL when it sends its
query, which results in a '404' error from my webserver. I can probably
fix it by changing the '?' to '/' and making some changes to the
mirror.pl script. This appears to be a bug in the RHN applet, as far as
I can tell, not a problem with my code.
--
Michael