up2date error exceptions.UnboundLocalError related to unofficial yum repository?

Michael E Brown Michael_E_Brown at dell.com
Wed Jun 27 10:09:05 CDT 2007

On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 10:36:58AM -0400, Zembower, Kevin wrote:
> I just got off the phone with Dell Tech Support because of this error:
>
> -bash-3.00# up2date --update
> http://linux.dell.com/yum/software/mirrors-rhel4.txt

This is now an internal apache redirect which resolves to:
http://linux.dell.com/repo/software/mirrors.pl?osname=el4

When you hit that URL, the mirrorlist is:
http://linux.dell.com/repo/software/el4

> using mirror: http://linux.dell.com/repo/software/el4

Which means that this is correct.

> Fetching Obsoletes list for channel: rhel-x86_64-es-4...
>
> Fetching Obsoletes list for channel: rhel-x86_64-es-4-extras...
>
> Fetching Obsoletes list for channel: rhel-4-es-x86_64-rhaps-2...
>
> Fetching Obsoletes list for channel: rhel-4-es-x86_64-rhds-2.1...
>
> Fetching Obsoletes list for channel: dell-software...
>
> Fetching rpm headers...
> There was an error downloading:
> http://linux.dell.com/yum/software/rhel4//headers/dkms-0-2.0.17-1.el4.no
> arch.hdr

This I dont understand. Why is it using this path when very clearly
above it has the correct mirror path?

> There was an error downloading:
> http://linux.dell.com/yum/software/rhel4//headers/dkms-0-2.0.17-1.el4.no
> arch.hdr
> There was an error downloading:
> http://linux.dell.com/yum/software/rhel4//headers/dkms-0-2.0.17-1.el4.no
> arch.hdr
> There was an error downloading:
> http://linux.dell.com/yum/software/rhel4//headers/dkms-0-2.0.17-1.el4.no
> arch.hdr
> There was an error downloading:
> http://linux.dell.com/yum/software/rhel4//headers/dkms-0-2.0.17-1.el4.no
> arch.hdr
> An error has occurred:
> exceptions.UnboundLocalError
> See /var/log/up2date for more information
> -bash-3.00#
>
> They had me fix it by commenting out the two yum lines in this section
> of /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources:
> #BEGIN dell-repository
> # This block is managed by the Dell-repository RPM.
> # Main unofficial Dell software repository.
> #yum dell-software http://linux.dell.com/yum/software/rhel4/
> #yum-mirror dell-software
> http://linux.dell.com/yum/software/mirrors-rhel4.txt

Hmm... I see that you have a pretty old configuration. You must have
set up the repositories many months ago. I see that my current
repository RPMs dont ever update this config, so I'll probably fix that.
But, it should still work, as evidenced by the mirror paths above being
correct.

> They said that there was a problem with the unofficial yum repository.
> I've been off this list for the last couple of weeks, but just before I
> left, there was a lot of traffic regarding the establishment of the yum
> repository. Searching the archives on the error message didn't turn up
> any recent hits.

Can you uncomment those lines and clean your up2date cache?
   # mv /var/cache/up2date /var/cache/up2date-old

Then re-run up2date --update. I think that possibly up2date is just
confused and caching the wrong values.

> Is this a widespread problem with the yum repository? Can anyone give me
> a link to linux-poweredge messages about this? Any updated status?

It shouldnt be. I have over 3,000 distinct IPs hitting the repository
each week using yum/up2date, so I hear about problems pretty fast. :)

--
Michael