up2date error exceptions.UnboundLocalError related to unofficial yum repository?

Zembower, Kevin kzembowe at jhuccp.org
Wed Jun 27 09:36:58 CDT 2007

I just got off the phone with Dell Tech Support because of this error:

-bash-3.00# up2date --update
http://linux.dell.com/yum/software/mirrors-rhel4.txt
using mirror: http://linux.dell.com/repo/software/el4

Fetching Obsoletes list for channel: rhel-x86_64-es-4...

Fetching Obsoletes list for channel: rhel-x86_64-es-4-extras...

Fetching Obsoletes list for channel: rhel-4-es-x86_64-rhaps-2...

Fetching Obsoletes list for channel: rhel-4-es-x86_64-rhds-2.1...

Fetching Obsoletes list for channel: dell-software...

Fetching rpm headers...
There was an error downloading:
http://linux.dell.com/yum/software/rhel4//headers/dkms-0-2.0.17-1.el4.no
arch.hdr
There was an error downloading:
http://linux.dell.com/yum/software/rhel4//headers/dkms-0-2.0.17-1.el4.no
arch.hdr
There was an error downloading:
http://linux.dell.com/yum/software/rhel4//headers/dkms-0-2.0.17-1.el4.no
arch.hdr
There was an error downloading:
http://linux.dell.com/yum/software/rhel4//headers/dkms-0-2.0.17-1.el4.no
arch.hdr
There was an error downloading:
http://linux.dell.com/yum/software/rhel4//headers/dkms-0-2.0.17-1.el4.no
arch.hdr
An error has occurred:
exceptions.UnboundLocalError
See /var/log/up2date for more information
-bash-3.00#

They had me fix it by commenting out the two yum lines in this section
of /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources:
#BEGIN dell-repository
# This block is managed by the Dell-repository RPM.
# Main unofficial Dell software repository.
#yum dell-software http://linux.dell.com/yum/software/rhel4/
#yum-mirror dell-software
http://linux.dell.com/yum/software/mirrors-rhel4.txt

They said that there was a problem with the unofficial yum repository.
I've been off this list for the last couple of weeks, but just before I
left, there was a lot of traffic regarding the establishment of the yum
repository. Searching the archives on the error message didn't turn up
any recent hits.

Is this a widespread problem with the yum repository? Can anyone give me
a link to linux-poweredge messages about this? Any updated status?

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

-Kevin

Kevin Zembower
Internet Services Group manager