Debian/Ubuntu experience with PE 860

Alessandro FAGLIA a.faglia at farmol.it
Mon Jun 25 11:36:16 CDT 2007

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Re:Debian/Ubuntu experience with PE 860
From: John Huong <jahuong at acme2u.com>
To: Alessandro FAGLIA <a.faglia at farmol.it>
Cc: linux-poweredge at dell.com
Date: Mon Jun 25 2007 18:18:50 GMT+0200 (ora legale Europa occidentale)

> Dear Alessandro,
>    I've search through that thread but I'm not too sure how it may help
> me? I noticed that you have mentioned recompiling the kernel. Is that
> how you had managed to solve the problem?

Yes. I don't know if the kernel which comes with Edgy Eft already has
what is needed inside. Provided that I'm used to recompile the kernel
for all my servers, I can suggest you what I did:
- make sure that CONFIG_FUSION_CTL is compiled either inside the kernel
or as a module.
- make sure that following items are compiled (not sure which are
required and which are not):
CONFIG_IPMI_HANDLER
CONFIG_IPMI_PANIC_EVENT
CONFIG_IPMI_PANIC_STRING
CONFIG_IPMI_DEVICE_INTERFACE
CONFIG_IPMI_SI
CONFIG_IPMI_WATCHDOG
CONFIG_IPMI_POWEROFF
I had to compile them as modules else IPMI was not working.

Hope this helps.
Alessandro