Setup for Scientific Linux of dell repository failed

Michael_E_Brown at Dell.com Michael_E_Brown at Dell.com
Sun Jun 24 23:26:28 CDT 2007

The intention is that SL *should* work with the repo, as it is just recompiled Red Hat.

In practice, however, you seem to be the first to try it. You gave enough information below that I should be able to update the bootstrap script tomorrow. If I make the changes to the bootstrap script, would you be willing to test them?
--
Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com on behalf of Martin Flemming
Sent: Sat 6/23/2007 2:47 AM
To: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: Setup for Scientific Linux of dell repository failed

Hi !

I wonder that the description under

http://linux.dell.com/repo/hardware/

>How to set up for usage with yum (minimum required version: yum 2.4.x):
>RHEL5, CentOS, Scientific Linux, RHEL4+yum, SLES+yum
>
>wget -q -O - http://linux.dell.com/repo/hardware/bootstrap.cgi | bash

failed for Scientific Linux ....

I've got a Scientific Linux SL release 4.4 Machine

[lxlab10] /tmp # cat /etc/issue
Scientific Linux SL release 4.4 (Beryllium)

And if i want to setup the dell-repository, i've got following error message :

[lxlab10] /tmp # wget -q -O - http://linux.dell.com/repo/hardware/bootstrap.cgi | bash

Unable to determine that you are running an OS I know about.
Handled OSs include Red Hat Enterprise Linux and CentOS,
Fedora Core and Novell SuSE Linux Enterprise Server and OpenSUSE

The same for Scientific Linux SL release 5.0 (Boron) ..

I've downloaded the bootstrap.cgi and set a "#!/bin/sh -x"
in the beginning of the script and execute it again ..

[lxlab10] /tmp # ./bootstrap.cgi
+ PUBLIC_HARDWARE_SERVER=http://linux.dell.com
+ PUBLIC_HARDWARE_REPO_URL=/repo/hardware
+ HARDWARE_SERVER=http://linux.dell.com
+ HARDWARE_REPO_URL=/repo/hardware
+ GPG_KEY[0]=http://linux.dell.com//repo/hardware/RPM-GPG-KEY-dell
+ GPG_KEY[1]=http://linux.dell.com//repo/hardware/RPM-GPG-KEY-libsmbios
+ CHECK_REPO_SIGNATURE=1
+ REPO_RPM_VER=1-9
+ REPO_NAME=dell-hw-indep
++ distro_version
++ dist=unknown
++ '[' '!' -e /bin/rpm ']'
+++ rpm -q --whatprovides redhat-release
+++ tail -n1
++ WHATPROVIDES_REDHAT_RELEASE=sl-release-4.4-4.noarch
++ rpm -q --whatprovides redhat-release
+++ echo sl-release-4.4-4.noarch
+++ grep redhat-release
++ echo sl-release-4.4-4.noarch
++ grep centos-release
+++ rpm -q --whatprovides sles-release
+++ tail -n1
++ WHATPROVIDES_SLES_RELEASE='no package provides sles-release'
++ rpm -q --whatprovides sles-release
++ '[' -n '' ']'
++ '[' -n '' ']'
++ echo unknown
+ dist=unknown
+ '[' unknown = unknown ']'
+ echo 'Unable to determine that you are running an OS I know about.'
Unable to determine that you are running an OS I know about.
+ echo 'Handled OSs include Red Hat Enterprise Linux and CentOS,'
Handled OSs include Red Hat Enterprise Linux and CentOS,
+ echo 'Fedora Core and Novell SuSE Linux Enterprise Server and OpenSUSE'
Fedora Core and Novell SuSE Linux Enterprise Server and OpenSUSE
+ exit 1

There are no extensions for Scientific Linux in the "bootstrap.cgi" .. ?!

like  "sl-release" or something else ..

[lxlab10] /tmp # rpm -q --whatprovides redhat-release
sl-release-4.4-4.noarch

[lxlab10] /tmp # grep dist bootstrap.cgi.hardware
function distro_version()
    # What distribution are we running?
    dist=unknown
    [ ! -e /bin/rpm ] && echo "$dist" && return
            dist=el${VER%%[a-zA-Z]*}
            dist=sles${VER}
    echo "$dist"
dist=$(distro_version)
if [ "${dist}" = "unknown" ]; then
REPO_RPM="${REPO_NAME}-repository-${REPO_RPM_VER}.${dist}.noarch.rpm"
ACTUAL_REPO_URL=$(wget -q -O-
${HARDWARE_SERVER}/${HARDWARE_REPO_URL}/mirrors.pl?osname=${dist}\&basearch=$basearch)
case $dist in

The same for the software-repository ...

[lxlab10] /tmp # grep dist bootstrap.cgi.software
function distro_version()
# What distribution are we running?
    dist=unknown
    [ ! -e /bin/rpm ] && echo "$dist" && return
        dist=fc${VER}
        dist=el${VER}
        dist=el${VER}
        dist=sles${VER}
        dist=suse${VER}
    echo "$dist"
dist=$(distro_version)
if [ "${dist}" = "unknown" ]; then
REPO_RPM="${REPO_NAME}-repository-${REPO_RPM_VER}.${dist}.noarch.rpm"
RPMPATH=${SOFTWARE_SERVER}/${SOFTWARE_REPO_URL}/${dist}/$(uname -i)/dell-repository/${REPO_RPM_VER}/noarch/${REPO_RPM}

Is that known and to be wanted or a bug ?

... or do i something wrong ?

Maybe it could be arranged for Scientific Linux ?

Cheers,
          Martin

Martin Flemming
DESY / IT          office : Building 2b / 008a
Notkestr. 85       phone  : 040 - 8998 - 4667
22603 Hamburg      mail   : martin.flemming at desy.de