OM / snmpd / smux conflict??

Larsen, Peter PLarsen at CIBER.com
Sun Jun 24 14:30:02 CDT 2007

>Larsen, Peter wrote:
>> Sure - where would you propose getting that particular version?

>http://www.net-snmp.org/download

Ohh - sorry, I thought you were talking about a package via up2date - ehhh, DUH!! ;)

I'll give it and try and get back here with the results.

>> I did that, and this is what I get:
>> [smux_accept] accepted fd 13 from 127.0.0.1:46500
[...]

>What about at startup? There should be some output when it parses the
>"smuxpeer" line from snmpd.conf. If it's not there, add "-Dread_config"
>to make sure the agent is reading the right snmpd.conf.

A "clean" snmpd.log file looks like this right after startup:

Warning: no access control information configured.
  It's unlikely this agent can serve any useful purpose in this state.
  Run "snmpconf -g basic_setup" to help you configure the snmpd.conf file for this agent.
smux_init: [smux_init] done; smux listen sd is 11, smux port is 199
NET-SNMP version 5.1.2
smux: [smux_accept] Calling accept()
[smux_accept] accepted fd 13 from 127.0.0.1:28212
smux: [smux_open_process] version 0, len 59, type 2
smux: [smux_open_process] smux peer: SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.674.10892.1
smux: [smux_open_process] len 47, type 6
smux: [smux_open_process] smux peer descr: Systems Management SNMP MIB Plug-in Manager
smux: [smux_open_process] len 2, type 4
smux: [smux_open_process] smux peer passwd:
smux: [smux_open_process] len 0, type 4
refused smux peer: oid SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.674.10892.1, password , descr Systems Management SNM
P MIB Plug-in Manager
smux: [smux_close] sending close to fd 13, reason 5

== eof snmpd.log ==

>> clearly somekind of authentication issue??  I've looked in Open Manage, but I'm
>> not able to find out what password to use?

>OM usually works w/o a password, AFAIK (oh well).

I found somewhere were it was discussed that null-passwords were handled wrong. If that's the case, all I need to do is find smux under OM and set it.

Regards
  Peter Larsen