Setup for Scientific Linux of dell repository failed

John jses27 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 06:48:06 CDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-06-23 at 09:47 +0200, Martin Flemming wrote:
> Hi !
>
> I wonder that the description under
>
> http://linux.dell.com/repo/hardware/
>
> >How to set up for usage with yum (minimum required version: yum 2.4.x):
> >RHEL5, CentOS, Scientific Linux, RHEL4+yum, SLES+yum
> >
> >wget -q -O - http://linux.dell.com/repo/hardware/bootstrap.cgi | bash
>
> failed for Scientific Linux ....
>

> I've got a Scientific Linux SL release 4.4 Machine
>
> [lxlab10] /tmp # cat /etc/issue
> Scientific Linux SL release 4.4 (Beryllium)
>
> And if i want to setup the dell-repository, i've got following error message :
>
> [lxlab10] /tmp # wget -q -O - http://linux.dell.com/repo/hardware/bootstrap.cgi | bash
>
> Unable to determine that you are running an OS I know about.
> Handled OSs include Red Hat Enterprise Linux and CentOS,
> Fedora Core and Novell SuSE Linux Enterprise Server and OpenSUSE
>

> The same for Scientific Linux SL release 5.0 (Boron) ..
>

> I've downloaded the bootstrap.cgi and set a "#!/bin/sh -x"
> in the beginning of the script and execute it again ..
>

> [lxlab10] /tmp # ./bootstrap.cgi
> + PUBLIC_HARDWARE_SERVER=http://linux.dell.com
> + PUBLIC_HARDWARE_REPO_URL=/repo/hardware
> + HARDWARE_SERVER=http://linux.dell.com
> + HARDWARE_REPO_URL=/repo/hardware
> + GPG_KEY[0]=http://linux.dell.com//repo/hardware/RPM-GPG-KEY-dell
> + GPG_KEY[1]=http://linux.dell.com//repo/hardware/RPM-GPG-KEY-libsmbios
> + CHECK_REPO_SIGNATURE=1
> + REPO_RPM_VER=1-9
> + REPO_NAME=dell-hw-indep
> ++ distro_version
> ++ dist=unknown
> ++ '[' '!' -e /bin/rpm ']'
> +++ rpm -q --whatprovides redhat-release
> +++ tail -n1
> ++ WHATPROVIDES_REDHAT_RELEASE=sl-release-4.4-4.noarch
> ++ rpm -q --whatprovides redhat-release
> +++ echo sl-release-4.4-4.noarch
> +++ grep redhat-release
> ++ echo sl-release-4.4-4.noarch
> ++ grep centos-release
> +++ rpm -q --whatprovides sles-release
> +++ tail -n1
> ++ WHATPROVIDES_SLES_RELEASE='no package provides sles-release'
> ++ rpm -q --whatprovides sles-release
> ++ '[' -n '' ']'
> ++ '[' -n '' ']'
> ++ echo unknown
> + dist=unknown
> + '[' unknown = unknown ']'
> + echo 'Unable to determine that you are running an OS I know about.'
> Unable to determine that you are running an OS I know about.
> + echo 'Handled OSs include Red Hat Enterprise Linux and CentOS,'
> Handled OSs include Red Hat Enterprise Linux and CentOS,
> + echo 'Fedora Core and Novell SuSE Linux Enterprise Server and OpenSUSE'
> Fedora Core and Novell SuSE Linux Enterprise Server and OpenSUSE
> + exit 1
>

> There are no extensions for Scientific Linux in the "bootstrap.cgi" .. ?!
>
> like  "sl-release" or something else ..
>
> [lxlab10] /tmp # rpm -q --whatprovides redhat-release
> sl-release-4.4-4.noarch
>
> [lxlab10] /tmp # grep dist bootstrap.cgi.hardware
> [...]
All you have to do is edit the file.../etc/redhat-release and /etc/issue
Red Hat Enterprise Linux release 4 (Nahant Update 4) As in you will remove anything
pertaining to CentOS or Scientific Linux. Disclaimer: I don't think my line I gave for
example is correct but it is close enough for an example. There is also a post on this
Subject. Just search for it I remember seeing it.

~/john

OpenPGP Sig:BA91F079