OM / snmpd / smux conflict??

Peter Larsen plarsen at CIBER.com
Fri Jun 22 15:42:52 CDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-22 at 13:31 -0700, Todd Lyons wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 03:05:56PM -0400, Peter Larsen wrote:
>
> >I seem to have an issue with snmpd and open manage on a RHEL4
> >installation. OM is version 5.2.
> >I've seen in the read-me that it's a known issue, and they simply
> >recommend restarting snmpd, but that's not helping.
> >Problem: smux connect fails.
> >snmpd.log: [smux_accept] accepted fd 14 from 127.0.0.1:11292
> >refused smux peer: oid SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.674.10892.1, password ,
> >descr Systems Management SNMP MIB Plug-in Manager
> >And I get a lot of those, with different PIDs - about every 1 or 2
> >seconds.
>
> So is the problem that the smux is not working for you, or that you get
> a message every couple seconds about it?

I think it's two sides of the same problem. SMUX doesn't seem to be
working and because of that I get the messages. If I shutdown OM the
"problem" goes away.

> The fix for the message every couple seconds is to create an
> /etc/sysconfig/snmpd.options file and put:
> OPTIONS="-LS 4 d -p /var/run/snmpd.pid -a"
>   (plus whatever other options you need for your smux to work)
> then restart snmpd.

Must admit my ignorance doesn't allow me to see what parameters are
needed for SMUX to work?  I wrote the option file just as you specified
and "ps axf" shows it's been read after a restart; but I'm still getting
the message.

> The default cli in the init script uses "-Lsd -Lf/dev/null" for logging,
> but that causes a problem with current snmpd (this was first noticed on
> a CentOS 4.4 to 4.5 update, so if you've recently updated from U4 to U5,
> you're probably seeing it too).

This is a "pure" RHES4 install; not CentOS. Not an upgrade either.

--
//
  Best Regards
    Email: plarsen at ciber.com