[announce] Dell hardware repository now standalone

Michael E Brown Michael_E_Brown at dell.com
Fri Jun 22 15:06:31 CDT 2007

Everybody,

    A quick note about the Dell Linux software repositories. Up until
now, the 'hardware' repository at http://linux.dell.com/repo/hardware
required setting up the 'software' repository first. It was not
standalone.

    As of yesterday, I have made the two repositories each standalone.
You can use either or both repositories together. The two repositories
are separate because they have different purposes. Below I have outlined
the 'mission' of each of the repositories, so you can decide which
repository you want to connect to.

    If you already have set up the hardware repository, your setup will
still work. It does, however require a couple updates, and I am working
on an easy and seamless upgrade path. I will send out the details on
this when I finalize them.

Repository Overview/Background:

1) Unofficial software repo: http://linux.dell.com/repo/software

 Purpose:
    - To distribute Dell-developed open source software
    - To distribute customer-developed open source modules (process is
      still TBA)

 The /repo/software repository will not contain Dell OpenManage
 components. Up until this point, it has contained OMSA. As announced
 last month, the "hardware" repository is the official source of OMSA,
 and the OMSA RPMs will be removed from the software repository next
 week. Everybody who is using the software repo to install OMSA should
 switch over to use the hardware repo. (or use both, they are mutually
 compatible.)

2) Unofficial hardware repo: http://linux.dell.com/repo/hardware

 Purpose:
    - To distribute all Official Dell Software
        - This means that everything in the repo is
          officially-supported. At this point, the *repository* itself
          is unofficial (we are working on changing this.)
    - Official Dell Software distributed in this repo: OpenManage Server
      Administrator, all Dell drivers for our different Linux systems.
      More to come in the future.

 To this end, the repository is structured such that there is one
 repository for each supported OS/System Model.

--
Michael