Reading out IPMI sensor values with Zabbix

Bart van Kuik linux-poweredge at vankuik.nl
Fri Jun 22 01:26:25 CDT 2007

Hi list, Alessandro,

Recently I installed RedHat AS 5 on a PowerEdge 860. For management, we
use Zabbix; if you know Nagios then remember that this is supposed to be a
more user-friendly replacement. I figured out how to configure Zabbix to
read out fan speed, board temperature, etc.

To read out IPMI sensor values with Zabbix (http://www.zabbix.org/)
take the following steps:

On the zabbix server, use the web frontend (menu Configuration -> Items)
to create a new item "ipmi.planar_temp" of type "ZABBIX Agent (Active)".
Type of value is Numeric, unit is C for Celsius.

Go to the zabbix agent machine. Give the zabbix sudo rights (as root,
execute "visudo") to execute the ipmitool as root, without a passsword.

Example line to add:
zabbix ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/ipmitool sdr

Edit the /etc/zabbix/zabbix_agentd.conf file and add the line (this is one
straight line):
UserParameter=ipmi.planar_temp,sudo ipmitool sdr | grep "Planar Temp" |
awk '{print $4}'

Restart the agent:
# service zabbix_agentd restart

Go to the zabbix server. Restart it (don't know if this is necessary):
# service zabbix_server restart

Go to the zabbix server web frontend, menu Monitoring -> Latest Data.
Scroll down. The following line should be shown after a minute or so:
 ipmi.planar_temp	22 Jun 08:19:25	26 C

At the end of the line, there's a hyperlink to a pretty stripchart.

You can add new lines as you wish; repeating the steps above. The PE360
doesn't show a whole lot of IPMI information. For interested parties, here
is my zabbix_agentd.conf which is a text file:

  http://www.vankuik.nl/cgi/wiki.cgi/download/zabbix_agentd.conf

Note that last line. Basically I count all lines that do NOT end in either
'ok' or 'ns'.

Also note that this is a test setup. The sudo construction could be tighter.

Hope this helps :-)

Bart