md1000 vs. PV220 performance

Tim Pickard tpickard at crossref.org
Thu Jun 21 17:23:05 CDT 2007

I have an interesting situation.

I have a PE2850 with a PV 220S on a Megaraid 320 controller (PERC 4e/Di)
I have a PE2950 with a MD1000 on a PERC 5/E controller.

Both systems are running RHEL4u4 x86_64
Both systems are database machines running the same vers of Oracle 9i.
Both systems are running the same databases and processing the same
archive logs.

 From the I/O perspective, I am getting poorer performance from the
2950/MD1000 combo.  It takes 1-2 hours longer to process the same data logs.

I would have expected the opposite to be true.

The Disks are laid out in large single raid10 volumes on the devices and
using LVM to carve them into volumes.  The database files are in the
same layout on each machine as they mirror each other.

Is there something I can do to speed up the SAS device?  Is there some
hardware performance tuning?

Thanks,
Tim