Status degraded PERC 5/i

Robert von Bismarck robert.vonbismarck at smart-telecom.ch
Wed Jun 20 07:26:40 CDT 2007

Have you checked the state of the individual disks ?
We had the same problem on a 1950, turned out it was a disk that went over a SMART threshold and gave alarms.
Omreport showed the disk as being in "Non-Critical" state

The "alertlog" on the BMC was full of messages, and we got SNMP traps every 5 minutes about this device.
The disk was alternately blinking yellow/blue on the front of the system. The system's LCD back-light stayed solid blue until we
pulled the disk to replace it.
We opened a trouble ticket with Dell who diagnosed a firmware issue on the device. The firmware update did not work on the affected disk, so, in the end, it had to be replaced.

Sample output :

# omreport storage pdisk controller=0 pdisk=0:0:0
Hard Disk 0:0:0 on Controller PERC 5/i Integrated (Embedded)

Controller PERC 5/i Integrated (Embedded)
ID                        : 0:0:0
Status                    : Non-Critical
Name                      : Physical Disk 0:0:0
State                     : Online
Failure Predicted         : Yes
Progress                  : Not Applicable
Type                      : SAS
Capacity                  : 67.75 GB (72746008576 bytes)
Used RAID Disk Space      : 67.75 GB (72746008576 bytes)
Available RAID Disk Space : 0.00 GB (0 bytes)
Hot Spare                 : No
Vendor ID                 : DELL
Product ID                : ATLAS10K5_073SAS
Revision                  : BP01
Serial No.                : xxxxxx
Negotiated Speed          : Not Available
Capable Speed             : Not Available
Manufacture Day           : 05
Manufacture Week          : 32
Manufacture Year          : 2006
SAS Address               : xxxxxx