SC1435 RAID monitoring under Gentoo

Alessandro FAGLIA a.faglia at farmol.it
Wed Jun 20 06:26:09 CDT 2007

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: SC1435 RAID monitoring under Gentoo
From: Ian P. Christian <pookey at gmail.com>
To: linux-poweredge at dell.com
Date: Wed Jun 20 2007 10:47:31 GMT+0200 (ora legale Europa occidentale)

> lspci shows the RAID card in the SC1435 as:
>     LSI Logic / Symbios Logic SAS1068 PCI-X Fusion-MPT SAS (rev 01)
>
> It is apparently a 'SAS 5iR U320 SAS Controller' according to my Dell
> invoice.
>
> Previously I have been able to monitor Dell RAID cards with MegaCli,
> however attempting this on my new server results in this:
>
>      # ./MegaCli -CfgDsply -aALL
>
>     ERROR:Could not detect controller.
>
> I've tried downloading several tools, however they are all RPM based and
> have dependencies that can't be met on my system.  Can anyone suggest
> how I can monitor my RAID on my server under Gentoo?

Try to recompile the kernel (mine is linux-2.6.21.1) and set options as
below (this is an excerpt of my .config file):

#
# Fusion MPT device support
#
CONFIG_FUSION=y
# CONFIG_FUSION_SPI is not set
# CONFIG_FUSION_FC is not set
CONFIG_FUSION_SAS=y
CONFIG_FUSION_MAX_SGE=128
CONFIG_FUSION_CTL=y

[...]

# IPMI
#
CONFIG_IPMI_HANDLER=m
CONFIG_IPMI_PANIC_EVENT=y
CONFIG_IPMI_PANIC_STRING=y
CONFIG_IPMI_DEVICE_INTERFACE=m
CONFIG_IPMI_SI=m
CONFIG_IPMI_WATCHDOG=m
CONFIG_IPMI_POWEROFF=m

I had the same issue with OMSA (controller not found), and this worked
for me.

Hope this helps.
Alessandro