Poweredge 1850 freaked out!

John jses27 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 06:22:45 CDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-06-19 at 22:36 +0100, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
> * John Oliver (joliver at john-oliver.net) wrote:
> > PE 1850 running RHEL4u4 2.6.9-42.0.8.ELsmp
> >
> > Jun 18 07:38:58 nlwwwp01 kernel: drivers/usb/input/hid-core.c: not
> > resubmitting,
> >  input1
> > Jun 18 07:38:58 nlwwwp01 kernel: usb 2-1: USB disconnect, address 3
> > Jun 18 07:38:58 nlwwwp01 kernel: hdf: status error: status=0x7f {
> > DriveReady Dev
> > iceFault SeekComplete DataRequest CorrectedError Index Error }
> > Jun 18 07:38:58 nlwwwp01 kernel: hdf: status error:
> > error=0x7fIllegalLengthIndic
> > ation EndOfMedia Aborted Command MediaChangeRequested LastFailedSense
> > 0x07
> > Jun 18 07:38:58 nlwwwp01 kernel: hdf: drive not ready for command
>
> <snipp>
>
> > And that nonsense went on and on until the machine was rebooted.
> >
> > hdf is a "virtual CD-ROM".  I'm not clear on what that is, or what good
> > it does me, or why it would all of a sudden have massive problems that
> > would bring the machine down.
>
> Hmm - I wonder if the usb message at the same point is related;
> is it a virtual CDROM connected via USB? But there again
> it's hdf not sdf which you would expect from a USB device.
> Was that the first message at that time - I find it curious that the
> USB and disc errors happened at the same time - what else happened then?
>
> Is the virtual CDROM done with some thing that also does a KVM type thing?
>
> Dave
Second time to list! got bounced

I have RHEL 4.4 install on a system and on reboot when there's a USB
drive physically connected to the server I get these same consistant
errno.. Thus can not have it connected at boot time and boot init 3.

Also upgraded to latest kernel, didn't help... I'm taking sejustions also on this.

--
~/john

OpenPGP Sig:BA91F079