Poweredge 1850 freaked out!

Matthew Geier matthew at acfr.usyd.edu.au
Tue Jun 19 17:01:08 CDT 2007

John Oliver wrote:
> PE 1850 running RHEL4u4 2.6.9-42.0.8.ELsmp
>

> Jun 18 07:38:59 nlwwwp01 kernel: hdf: drive not ready for command
> Jun 18 07:38:59 nlwwwp01 kernel: hdf: ATAPI reset complete
>
> I got dozens and dozens of those per second until
>
> Jun 18 07:39:12 nlwwwp01 kernel: hdf: drive not ready for command
> Jun 18 07:39:12 nlwwwp01 kernel: hdf: status timeout: status=0x80 { Busy
> }
>

> And that nonsense went on and on until the machine was rebooted.
>
> hdf is a "virtual CD-ROM".

 This has happened to me on a couple of occasions as well. Some times
the DRAC watch dog would finally flip and reset the machine, other times
the server just got so slow as to be useless.

 I disabled the DRAC virtual CD and Floppy drives. I didn't need the
functionality anyway.

 When setting up the machines originally, I accidentally booted one of a
remote virtual CD drive. Took a few minutes to work how the @#$@% had
the system managed to boot into the OS it did.. :-)