Poweredge 1850 freaked out!

Dr. David Alan Gilbert dell at treblig.org
Tue Jun 19 16:36:05 CDT 2007

* John Oliver (joliver at john-oliver.net) wrote:
> PE 1850 running RHEL4u4 2.6.9-42.0.8.ELsmp
>
> Jun 18 07:38:58 nlwwwp01 kernel: drivers/usb/input/hid-core.c: not
> resubmitting,
>  input1
> Jun 18 07:38:58 nlwwwp01 kernel: usb 2-1: USB disconnect, address 3
> Jun 18 07:38:58 nlwwwp01 kernel: hdf: status error: status=0x7f {
> DriveReady Dev
> iceFault SeekComplete DataRequest CorrectedError Index Error }
> Jun 18 07:38:58 nlwwwp01 kernel: hdf: status error:
> error=0x7fIllegalLengthIndic
> ation EndOfMedia Aborted Command MediaChangeRequested LastFailedSense
> 0x07
> Jun 18 07:38:58 nlwwwp01 kernel: hdf: drive not ready for command

<snipp>

> And that nonsense went on and on until the machine was rebooted.
>
> hdf is a "virtual CD-ROM".  I'm not clear on what that is, or what good
> it does me, or why it would all of a sudden have massive problems that
> would bring the machine down.

Hmm - I wonder if the usb message at the same point is related;
is it a virtual CDROM connected via USB? But there again
it's hdf not sdf which you would expect from a USB device.
Was that the first message at that time - I find it curious that the
USB and disc errors happened at the same time - what else happened then?

Is the virtual CDROM done with some thing that also does a KVM type thing?

Dave
/ Dr. David Alan Gilbert    | Running GNU/Linux on Alpha,68K| Happy  \
\ gro.gilbert @ treblig.org | MIPS,x86,ARM,SPARC,PPC & HPPA | In Hex /